Music

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Where I'm From (Definition of a poet)

I begin with my roots...
Tried to trace the steps of my origins
Contacted some distant relatives and a few family friends
Then it dawned on me...
My "where I'm from" is undefined
My style and flows cannot be contained within city or state lines
Don't need to rep a state to justify my unique style of rhyme
I am a poet...
I transcend space and time
And live vicariously through my mind
Langston and Maya stirred the fire up deep down in my soul
Poetic sounds of those that passed gave me the words I can't control
Where I'm from is from emotion and pain
From love and life is where I got my game
From freedom of speech and marches led by kings
From breaking boundaries and not being controlled by silly things
Be proud of ur city and ur heritage, it's what u are
But my history and knowledge, u can't trace back that far
Let me speak, rep ur spots, be them high or low
I'm just a poet, simply put. That's really all u need to know.

©2010

No comments:

Post a Comment